January 28, 2024

Cos Leos

Noticias Latinoamericanas y Actualidad Mundial Manténgase informado y lea las últimas noticias de The Cosleos.com, la fuente definitiva para el periodismo independiente de todos los rincones del mundo.

Court acquits Bikru killings accused in 2021 attempt to murder case | Lucknow News

3 min read

A Kanpur court has acquitted a 23-year-old distant relative of slain gangster Vikas Dubey in an attempt to murder case registered in 2021, giving him the “benefit of the doubt”.

Vipul Dubey is also an accused in the July 3, 2020 Bikru case, along with Vikas Dubey and others, in which eight UP police personnel were killed.

An attempt to murder case was registered against Vipul Dubey, who was evading arrest in the Bikru case, at the Sajeti police station in Kanpur on January 7, 2021, after he opened fire at a police team during an encounter, an official said.

Vipul Dubey is currently lodged at the Kanpur Dehat jail. “Vipul Dubey was brought to the court under tight police security. The court found the weapon seized from Vipul was never sent for the forensic examination. The court also found the case investigation weak and acquitted Vipul giving him the benefit of the doubt,” Kanpur government counsel Santosh Katiyar said.

The court examined a total of six prosecution witnesses during the hearing.

Festive offer

Defence counsel Pavnesh Kumar Shukla said Vipul would remain in jail as the Bikru case trial was still pending against him.

According to the prosecution, Kanpur police stated that during a vehicle-checking drive early on July 7, 2021, they spotted a youth on a motorcycle and gesticulated him to stop. The youth, however, tried to escape but his two-wheeler slipped on the road, police said.

Police said the youth ran towards the field, and when police chased him, he opened fire at them. The police team, however, gheraoed the field and he was caught, they said.

Police said during the questioning, the arrested youth identified himself as Vipul Kumar, a resident of Bikru village. Police said that they had been looking for Vipul for his role in the killing of eight police personnel and a reward of Rs 50,000 was also announced on information leading to his arrest.

A separate case — under the Arms Act and attempt to murder — was registered against Vipul Dubey at the Sajeti police station for opening fire at the police team on January 7, 2021, police said.

Police claimed to have seized a country-made pistol and two cartridges from his possession. After an investigation, a chargesheet was filed against Vipul on March 8, 2021, police said.

On July 3, 2020, a police team went to Bikru village to arrest Vikas Dubey in a case of attempted murder. The police team was, however, ambushed and suffered heavy casualties. The shootout lasted till the early hours of the next day. Eight police personnel, including DSP Devendra Mishra, were killed in the attack.

Police then investigated the killings and arrested accused persons, while six gangsters, including Vikas Dubey, were killed in encounters.

Police filed a chargesheet against 44 people, including two policemen — then Choubeypur SHO Vinay Tiwari and Sub-Inspector KK Sharma. Both policemen were suspended and arrested for allegedly tipping off Vikas Dubey about the raid, police said.

In September last year, the court sentenced 23 aides of Vikas Dubey to 10 years of imprisonment and acquitted seven in connection with a Gangsters Act case.

Shukla said the trial of Vipul under the Gangsters Act is still pending.

Copyright © All rights reserved. | Newsphere by AF themes.